Food, football and France. Read about these and more in my latest monthly collection of thoughts about being a parent…
1. Our son has got increasingly polite and sociable recently. Only last week, he helped to put out some rubbish and then said ‘bye bye wheelie bin, see you later!’.
2. The best thing about borrowing CDs of kids’ songs from the library to play in the car is that it’s usually time to return them just when they start getting irritating.
3. I think our son has inherited my dress sense. Here we are wearing matching outfits:
4. Within the last month, I’ve had a very proud moment as our son said ‘pêl-droed’ (football) for the first time.
5. Our son is still learning to play football, which probably explains why I won 15-0 in a recent game in our back garden. He is improving though, it was 28-0 to me the previous week.
6. Talking of football, one of my favourite things about being a dad is that it’s now a lot more acceptable to play football in the living room than it used to be.
7. Our son can make a bit of a mess at times, but is also very interested in using our hoover. 8. It’s sometimes hard to know when our son’s saying ‘mamma’ and when he’s saying ‘banana’. I hope he doesn’t end up sending a Mother’s Day card to a piece of fruit.
9. However, our son has managed to recently say both ‘granny’ and ‘grandad’ on Skype.
10. Our son has been introduced to some elementary human biology in one of the books he’s been reading recently (see below). 11. Our son is getting very enthusiastic about helping out with our two chickens. We’ll need to stop taking him out too early in the morning as he often ends up walking back across the garden towards the house shouting ‘look, eggs!’.
12. He is getting a bit more aware of noise though. When he comes back to bed after getting up during the night, he often shouts ‘QUIET’ just after coming back into the bedroom.
13. Not so long ago, I was somewhat disappointed that our son hadn’t really experienced playing in proper snow that I decided to make him a snowman out of play dough.
14. Thankfully, we did get some proper snow not long after I made the play dough snowman (…maybe there’s a link?).
15. As someone who teaches students French for a living, I was pleased to hear our son recently say his first French word. it was ‘voila’.
16. As our son is showing an interest in France at the moment, I’ve been telling him about how Marvin Gaye used to keep a sheep a vineyard he owned in the south of France. It’s quite well known that he’d herd it through the grapevine.
17. Our son may not be two yet, but he’s already decided that it’s time he has his own house (see below).
18. Our son recently told me off for lining up all his toy animals in order of size. Apparently it’s because he doesn’t like me critter sizing.
19. I’m glad to see our son showing an interest in healthy eating. When I got home from work recently he was taking this to a new level by trying to feed grapes to his toy giraffe.
20. Due to his interest in animals such as giraffes, we recently decided to make our bathroom look a bit like a jungle (see below). 21. Coming up with over 20 thoughts about parenting per month is getting quite challenging. I’m going to keep this feature going until our son turns two and will then be replacing it with a new format. Watch this space!
What do you think of this post and what do you remember from your first year and a half as a parent? Please feel free to share your views in the comments section below or on the ‘Dad’s The Way I Like It’ pages on Facebook or Google+. Remember that you can also subscribe to this blog by entering your e-mail address in the box on the right of the screen and also follow this blog via BlogLovin. There’s also now a Pinterest board for this blog as well, so please feel free to pin this post if you’ve enjoyed reading it.
Being a dad – celebrating the little things
6 things I’ve learned in 6 months as a parent
7 thoughts from my 7th month as a parent
8 thoughts from my 8th month as a parent
9 thoughts from my 9th month as a parent
10 thoughts from my 10th month as a parent
11 thoughts from my 11th month as a parent
12 thoughts from my 12th month as a parent
13 thoughts from my 13th month as a parent
14 thoughts from my 14th month as a parent
15 thoughts from my 15th month as a parent
16 thoughts from my 16th month as a parent
17 thoughts from my 17th month as a parent
18 thoughts from my 18th month as a parent
19 thoughts from my 19th month as a parent
20 thoughts from my 20th month as a parent
Baby’s first year in 12 photos
I have added this post the following parent blogger link-ups: