It’s time for another monthly round-up about getting used to being a parent. This month, I talk about Skype, selfies and sledging…
1. Our son has been getting quite affectionate over the last month. He recently kissed the screen when saying goodbye to granny and grandad on Skype…
2. …and he’s also taken to grabbing people’s legs and saying ‘cuddles’.
3. Our son recently took his first ‘selfie’ (see below).
4. In order to try to improve the quality of his selfies, I’ve been giving our son a few tips…
5. ‘Monkey’ / ‘Mwnci’ has become one of the first animals that our son can say. I’m quite pleased he’s chosen one that sounds very similar in English and Welsh. He also does quite a good monkey impression.
6. Our son has been perfecting his ‘family fist pump’ technique in the last week. I was going to post a picture or video here, but the first rule of our family fist pump is that you don’t talk about our family fist pump.
7. Our son may no longer be a little baby, but we still have this balloon (see below) that one of his grannies bought for him when he was a day old.
8. For some time, it’s been almost impossible to try to eat an orange within the sight of our son without him coming over and insisting on having at least half. Now, he seems able to sniff oranges when they’re in our ‘going out’ bag..
9. Our son used to be quite scared by the hoover but now is quite excited by it. The line ‘let’s go downstairs, we’re going to do some hoovering’ has been used to coax him towards the living room recently.
10. My telling of dad jokes has resulted in a change to my official work address…
11. Toothbrushes and spoons generally don’t look alike to most people, but our son recently tried to use his toothbrush in order to eat porridge.
12. Our son’s recently been walking round the kitchen holding up a saucepan lid to his ear and saying ‘hello’. Perhaps it’s time to explain how phones work.
13. Our son’s enthusiasm for gardening has continued recently and we’ve thankfully managed to prevent him from trying to water the chickens again.
14. Having an 18 month old son means not staying up to watch the football highlights on Saturday night’s ‘Match of the Day’ but knowing I’ll wake in time for Sunday morning repeat.
15. I have been trying to get more exercise recently. Last weekend, I went out for a cycle and chased our son round two different soft play centres. I still feel that soft play centres often do a better job of tiring out children than parents.
16. Eating with chopsticks can be challenging for a toddler, but nowhere near as challenging as trying to drink a glass of water using chopsticks…
17. While I was writing this post, our son was walking round the living room with a pan from the kitchen. This has got me thinking: when is it OK to ask your kids to start cooking dinner at least once a week? 🙂
18. Our son had his first trip in a sledge this month. He was dragged around the living room in it by grandad and enjoyed it immensely.
19. When our son had a slight cold recently, we decided that he could still go to the play park but would have to dress up as a fisherman.
What do you think of this post and what do you remember from your first two years as a parent? Please feel free to share your views in the comments section below or on the ‘Dad’s The Way I Like It’ pages on Facebook or Google+.
Remember that you can also subscribe to this blog by entering your e-mail address in the box on the right of the screen and also follow this blog via BlogLovin. There’s also now a Pinterest board for this blog as well, so please feel free to pin this post if you’ve enjoyed reading it.
Being a dad – celebrating the little things
6 things I’ve learned in 6 months as a parent
7 thoughts from my 7th month as a parent
8 thoughts from my 8th month as a parent
9 thoughts from my 9th month as a parent
10 thoughts from my 10th month as a parent
11 thoughts from my 11th month as a parent
12 thoughts from my 12th month as a parent
13 thoughts from my 13th month as a parent
14 thoughts from my 14th month as a parent
15 thoughts from my 15th month as a parent
16 thoughts from my 16th month as a parent
17 thoughts from my 17th month as a parent
18 thoughts from my 18th month as a parent
Baby’s first year in 12 photos
I have added this post the following parent blogger link-ups: